Counselling provides a safe, non-judgmental and confidential space where your child can talk about whatever is going on for them. It helps them find new ways of dealing with their issues and develop life skills that are healthy and empowering.
Suitable for dealing with:
- behavioral problems
- family difficulties
- peer relationships
- self-esteem issues
- post traumatic stress
- specialist family violence counselling
Your child’s counsellor will not tell them what to do, but instead will help your child find their own solutions to problems and assist them with ideas and suggestions that have helped other children with similar difficulties. Some of the techniques used in counselling children are a little different from those used with adults and vary depending upon the age of the child. We might play a game, do some creative activities, play with toys, or listen to a story.
How does this help?
It can be difficult for a child to talk about what is bothering them simply by sitting down with them and inviting them to talk; they are likely to feel hesitant and uncomfortable and not say much. So our counsellors use other strategies to help children feel more at ease and provide them with different ways to communicate what is going on for them. Children are encouraged to express their feelings in healthy and appropriate ways and learn new skills to help them deal with whatever is troubling them.
For more information on booking appointments, please visit Counselling Appointments.
Doncare provides a confidential counselling service, which includes appropriate professional consultation with counselling supervisors. We reserve the right to report serious risk situations to appropriate authorities.
Therapeutic Support Groups
Anxiety Hack is a group for young people experiencing anxiety symptoms or at risk of developing anxiety. The group aims to:
- Educate about types of anxiety and symptoms
- Provide an understanding about their own worries, anxiety and stress
- Give new skills to manage their symptoms better
- Teach relaxation, helpful thinking and effective behavioural strategies
Cool Kids is a therapeutic group for kids aged between 8-11 years which aims to:
- Create a safe environment for children to learn about how to express and manage their emotions
- Provide children with the opportunity to develop skills that allow them to establish and maintain positive relationships.
- To facilitate opportunities for children to meet and have fun with other children who have shared similar experiences.
Doncare also provides the following Creative Art Therapy groups to support children in recovery from Family Violence:
S.T.A.R Kids for kids in grades 4, 5 & 6
You Matter for teens aged between 13-18 years
For more information, please call 9856 1500.