Practical assistance is the provision of limited financial and/or material aid assistance to people in immediate need, and referrals to link you to the appropriate agencies and supports. A current health care card and/or other proof of Manningham residence are required.
Community Support Workers will assess your situation and the options available, which may include:
- Limited financial assistance in the form of occasional food vouchers
- Non-perishable food items
- Referral letters for material aid such as second-hand furniture/clothing
- Negotiating on your behalf with utilities, eg gas, water and electricity, or with Centrelink
- Liaison with and referral to other service providers
- Limited assistance with veterinary bills and pets
- Information about employment, training, or your legal or consumer rights, etc.
Through an assessment process, Doncare also has several grants programs to support eligible individuals, families and pensioners under financial hardship:
- Back to School: assistance with return to school costs such as fees or books.
- Winter Warmth: assistance with winter utility bills.
A Community Hub to “Eat and Greet”
Doncare partners with Doncaster Rotary and Living & Learning @ Ajani to provide fresh food provisions to low income, unemployed and disadvantaged families in Manningham. The “Eat and Greet” program is all about social inclusion and creating a community hub for people to sit down and have a meal together. Volunteer cooks prepare fresh meals with donated ingredients which can then either be eaten fresh on the day or vacuum packed and frozen for distribution through the rest of the week. All meals are free for clients referred by Doncare. To talk to a member of our Intake team about the process for making client referrals please call 9856 1500