Work with us
Doncare is a not for profit agency that provides services to the most vulnerable and disadvantaged residents of Manningham and surrounding suburbs, providing high quality services in the areas of Counselling, Social Support, Family Services and practical assistance.
Team Leader, Information and Emergency Relief
Doncare is seeking a suitably qualified person to join our team as the Team Leader, Information and Emergency Relief. The Information and Emergency Relief Team provides practical support and referral information to clients from Manningham who are experiencing financial hardship. You will join a team of dedicated staff and partner with them to promote Doncare’s mission and values and support our important work.
The successful applicant will supervise the day to day operations of the I&ER Program, including providing direction, support and supervision to program staff and volunteers. You will assist with volunteer recruitment, selection, training and supervision systems for the program and co-ordinate and ensure best practice in service delivery, and supervise team workflows and client appointment systems.
I&ER Team Leader Position Description. Enquiries regarding the position can be directed to Ms Helen Mackenzie on 9856 1500.
Applicants must provide a separate statement demonstrating how they meet the requirements of the key selection criteria if they wish to be considered for an interview.
Applications can be forwarded to Ms Helen Mackenzie, Manager Social Support & Information and Emergency Relief by email and close at 5 pm on Wednesday 19 September 2018.
Doncare values the diversity of the community and welcomes applications from people from a culturally and linguistically diverse background, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island or lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender or intersex individuals.
Doncare has a legal and moral responsibility to ensure the safety of all children in accordance with the Child Safe Standards and expects all staff to commit to this standard and understand their duty of care obligations. Mandatory pre-employment checks will be undertaken prior to commencement.
Social Support Worker – Volunteer position
Do you have an interest in and compassion for older people? We’re recruiting volunteers who want to help seniors stay independent and actively connected with their community. Doncare’s Social Support Program offers opportunities to socialise for older people in independent living accommodation and with reduced mobility or a disability.
Social Support Groups meet in community venues six days a week, and offer a range of activities including walking groups, lunch groups, movie groups and more. Clients are encouraged to maintain their independence as much as possible.
The activities take place in many venues in Manningham and further afield.
Volunteers can use their own car, comprehensively insured, or a Doncare vehicle.
The duties are:
- assist with social activities for older people
- collect two or three clients from their homes, drive them to a community venue, support them during the social activity and drive them home again
- provide support and encouragement to participants, enabling them to be actively involved in their chosen Social Support group
- support participants to maintain control of their own decision-making
- collect transport fees, food and drink payments
- report any concerns you may have to the Social Support team
- Current Victorian driver’s licence
- Police Check (Doncare will arrange)
- Use of a four door sedan or station wagon, for those not using a Doncare vehicle
- Respect for older people and their individuality
- An ability to encourage older people’s independence
- Good listening skills
- Willingness to work as part of a team
- Willingness to attend information sessions
Time Required: Normally a four or five hour shift fortnightly, but shifts can be weekly or monthly to suit individual volunteers. Drivers are also needed to take clients to and from a Friendship Group on a Tuesday, but are not required to stay during the session.
For more information please email Helen MacKenzie or call 9856 1500.
Cantonese speaking Social Support volunteer - Chinese Walking Group
We are recruiting Cantonese speaking volunteers who want to help seniors stay independent and actively connected with their community. If you have an interest in and compassion for older people this could be an ideal role for you.
Doncare’s Chinese Walking Group offers opportunities for older Cantonese or Mandarin speakers to maintain mobility and fitness and to socialise with people from the same cultural background. The group enjoys exploring Manningham’s beautiful parks and gardens in light walks, followed by morning tea at a local
hall. Once a month the group attends Yum Cha for lunch at a local restaurant after walking. Your commitment would involve a three or four hour shift every Wednesday morning (9-12) during school terms.
As a Walking Group volunteer you will:
- participate in and facilitate social activities for older people
- collect two or three clients from their homes, drive them to a community venue or a local park, support them during the walk or social activity and drive them home again
- provide support and encouragement to participants
- support participants to maintain control of their own decision-making
- help prepare and a serve light morning tea (on a roster basis)
- monitor the needs of the participants, reporting any concerns you may have to the Social Support team
You may use your own car, comprehensively insured, or a Doncare vehicle if you have a full licence.
- fluent Cantonese speaker. Fluency in Mandarin an advantage
- current Victorian driver’s licence
- police check (Doncare will arrange)
- use of a four door sedan or station wagon, for those not using a Doncare car
- respect for older people and their individuality
- an ability to encourage older people’s independence
- good listening skills
- willingness to work as part of a team
For more information please email Diana or call 9856 1500.
DAWN Mentor – volunteer position
Are you interested in providing practical and emotional support to a woman recovering from the impacts of family violence? The Doncare Angels for Women Network (DAWN) is a mentoring program that links trained volunteers to women to ease their social isolation, build their confidence and improve their sense of wellbeing. This volunteer position requires a commitment of 1 – 2 hours per week for a period of upto 12 months with an opportunity to extend. Professional training and monthly meetings occur at Doncare’s head office in Doncaster. Work with the client will occur at various locations to be determined between the Angel and the client. For more information on DAWN click here or call and speak to the DAWN Coordinator on 9856 1500.
Download the position description here
iMatter Leaders – volunteer position
Are you passionate about preventing family violence and building a community based on respect? If you are, join the iMatter volunteers. You’ll have the opportunity to be trained in this field and join our highly motivated and passionate team. Become a young leader empowering young people to navigate their relationships safely.
The iMatter Program aims to empower young people to promote healthy relationships and recognise and respond to the signs of abuse in a relationship. The program trains leaders aged 18-26 years to run workshops in secondary schools, community organisations and sporting clubs to empower young people to build their self-esteem, respect and resilience.
The program aims to raise awareness and create change around societal pressures and social attitudes in regards to gender and relationships, learn the warning signs of an unhealthy relationship, understand the dynamics in a healthy relationship and learn how to support others and play an active role in the community to assist prevention of family violence.
Check out the position description here
Please email your application to email@example.com
If you have any questions, please contact Katrina on 9856 1500.
Have you considered volunteering in our Op Shops program?
Doncare is currently recruiting volunteers for our op shops in North Blackburn, Tunstall Square, Macedon Plaza, Templestowe Village, Bulleen Plaza and Jackson Court. Call 9856 1500.
Volunteers are encouraged to bring their skills and knowledge to enhance the current team of volunteers. If you are interested in volunteering at any of the shops, please complete the application form here and return it to Doncare, to one of our shops or by e-mail.
Doncare has six opportunity shops located within the municipalities of Manningham and Whitehorse. Morning or afternoon shifts are available during the week and also shifts on Saturdays. Volunteer duties include:
- Assisting customers with selecting goods
- Selling merchandise
- Tidying clothes racks and shelves
- Sorting of donations
- Displaying goods
- Keeping the shop presentation clean.
Skills and abilities required:
- Punctuality and reliability
- Good communication skills
- Self motivated
- Friendly manner
- Enjoy being part of a team.