Eligibility and assessment
Who Can Join
The Social Support Program is funded by The Commonwealth Government’s Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) and the Victorian Government’s Home and Community Care (HACC) Program for younger Victorians. Accordingly, to meet the eligibility criteria for the Social Support Program people must:
- be aged 65 years and over (or 50 years and over for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders) living in the community to maximise their independence
- be aged under 65 years (under 50 years for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders) with an ongoing disability
- live in their own home, a retirement village, with family or in a Supported Residential Service
- be socially isolated or at risk of becoming socially isolated due to reduced mobility through age, illness or disability, lack of confidence in accessing social settings or the inability to access transport
- live in Manningham
- be interested in broadening their social network by participating in a small group
- have support needs that are within reasonable expectations of a volunteer social support service (higher needs may require specialist services).
Individuals aged 65 years and over (or 50 years and over for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders) need to be assessed by and referred to Doncare through the My Aged Care system. See the My Aged Care website for further information.
Individuals under 65 years (under 50 years for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders) with an ongoing disability are initially screened for eligibility over the phone, and then an individual assessment appointment will be made.
If you are eligible for the service, every effort will be made to place you in a suitable group of your choice. If there is not an available vacancy, you may choose to be placed on a waiting list and alternative groups will be discussed with you. Group inclusion from the waiting list is on a prioritising of clients based on individual needs.
Unfortunately, this program will be unable to assist you if:
- you live in a Commonwealth Government funded residential facility (hostel or nursing home)
- your care needs are too high for volunteers to assist with (e.g. if you require help with toileting, are unable to get into or out of a car, etc.)
- you do not live within our service area, the City of Manningham.
If you disagree with a decision we make regarding eligibility, you have the right to appeal the decision.