Volunteering gives you the opportunity to become an active member of your community, while helping others and yourself. When you volunteer, you choose to give your unpaid time and skills to help others and participate in your community to create positive change.
Sometimes you might ‘fall into’ volunteering, but at other times you might make a conscious decision to volunteer and then face the challenge of where to start.
1 – Decide that you want to contribute to your community by helping in the not-for-profit sector.
2 – Think about your skills and interests—which of these would you most like to use, improve or obtain in your volunteering activities?
4 – Read about the various roles. Choose those you like.
5 – Contact the organisation/s to indicate your interest. Find out how to apply for available volunteer positions.
People are motivated to volunteer for many different reasons:
- to meet new people
- improve employability
- add to your CV
- improve english language
- help other people
- make good use of your spare time
- take on new challenges
- use your skills and experience in a positive way.
By volunteering, you can make a positive difference to other people’s lives – and your own.
“Volunteering is time willingly given for the common good and without financial gain”
There are many different ways to volunteer, such as:
- for many hours or just a few
- on a regular basis or for special events only
- long-term or short-term
- “formally” through an organisation in the not-for-profit sector, in a specially assigned volunteer role
- “informally” by independently helping other people such as your neighbours
- through an organisation you’re already connected to, such as a school, sporting club or religious organisation.
Ways to Find a Volunteer Position
- Find opportunities in the Manningham community here
- Attend an Introduction to Volunteering session. Book here.
- Call Doncare and speak to the ViM coordinator on 9856 1546 to make a time for an interview to explore opportunities that might best suit you.
- Search on GoVolunteer for volunteer vacancies
- Make and manage your own volunteer profile online. Read more.